Non-Degree Programs

For full details including how to apply to non-degree programs, please visit

Undergraduate Non-Degree Students

Please be aware that students who intend to transfer to Mason to earn a bachelor’s degree are ineligible for non-degree study. Please visit, then expand and read the section under “Undergraduate Non-Degree Students” carefully.

Graduate Non-Degree Students

Important Note: Before application you are encouraged to consult the Schedule of Classes and the academic department offering the course(s) of interest. Certain graduate courses are restricted to degree-seeking students only. Please visit, then expand and read the section under “Graduate Non-Degree Students” carefully.

In addition, please read the detailed information below regarding course prerequisites and finding a graduate advisor.

Applicants who lack the prerequisite college level course work in biology and chemistry should complete a two semester sequence of introductory graduate level environmental chemistry (EVPP 506, Science of the Environment I) and biology (EVPP 507, Science of the Environment II) courses as a non-degree student to satisfy the biology and chemistry prerequisites for admission. These introductory courses would be in addition to the degree requirements as listed in the University Catalog. In addition, you will need to take a general ecology course (EVPP 607, Fundamentals of Ecology) which can be counted as a natural science requirement if admitted to the program.

The best way to find an advisor for the thesis concentrations for the master’s and doctoral programs is to take a course by a prospective faculty advisor in the non-degree program. For more information on the application process, please visit To aid you in finding an appropriate faculty member, please download the list of Advisors for prospective students .