- Career Opportunities
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROFESSIONAL CAREER NETWORK
- ESP Departmental Award Winners
- Financial Aid
- Graduate Students
General scholarships offered by Mason and non-Mason sources will be posted here. Each scholarship will have different eligibility criteria, so please refer to the specific scholarship’s website to see if you are eligible to apply.
Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
offered by NOAA
The application period for the 2020 Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program is now open. Applications are due by December 6, 2019 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time. Download a copy of the Full Funding Opportunity (FFO) announcement with directions to apply.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program provides support for master’s and doctoral degrees in oceanography, marine biology, or maritime archaeology—this can include, but is not limited to, ocean and/or coastal: engineering, social science, marine education, marine stewardship, and resource management disciplines—and particularly encourages women and members of minority groups to apply. Scholarship selections are based on academic excellence, letters of recommendations, research and career goals and financial need.
In order to have a competitive application for the Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program, it is recommended that you review the following bullets to assess whether or not you should apply for this scholarship.
- Your research proposal aligns closely with NOAA’s mission, with particular emphasis on meeting the science needs of the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries. This is 20% of your application score.
- Your financial need statement documents a strong financial need due to challenges, hardships, or other information through a compelling personal narrative. This is 25% of your application score.
- You (likely) have exceptional letters of recommendation. This is 10% of your application score.
- Historically, proposals that do not support the science needs of NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary System do not rank as high.
- If you are in the last year of your Masters or Ph.D. program, it is not advised to apply for this scholarship.
George Mason University
Listings of funding opportunities for undergraduates can be found here:
Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation (SMSC)
Please visit this link for more information on SMSC scholarships and fellowships:
Office of Student Scholarship, Creative Activities, and Research (OSCAR) at Mason
Please go to: https://oscar.gmu.edu/students/
↓↓↓ Non-Mason listings ↓↓↓